Thursday, September 23, 2010

Paint The Town Pink

It’s that time again. October is rolling around. That means pumpkins, children dressed up for Halloween and the cool crisp air of autumn afternoons. These are all things I look forward to every year. But for me, as a breast cancer patient, October is tainted with a million pink reminders of my disease. It has already begun. Store shelves are filled with items bearing the infamous pink ribbon, promising to donate a portion of the proceeds from the sale to either Susan G. Komen or some unknown cancer foundation. To the average person this seems wonderful, but to a large number of young breast cancer patients like me, this is highly depressing and offensive.

There are a few reasons that I despise the pink ribbon and its message, the first being that it’s a constant, in-your-face reminder of the most horrible thing that has ever happened in my life. Imagine if every year for an entire month, domestic violence or rape victims were bombarded with the face of their attacker. It may seem like a harsh comparison, but that’s just how it feels to be a breast cancer patient in October. Another reason I am offended by the pink ribbon is that I disagree with what it represents. The awareness campaign began in 1985 and was started by AstraZeneca, a drug company which manufactures the breast cancer drugs Arimidex and Tamoxifen. It made sense back then. In 1985 we needed awareness. It’s now 2010 and unless you live in a hobbit hole I’m pretty sure you’re well aware of breast cancer. What we need today is a real, non-toxic, tangible treatment and cure. And possibly my biggest reason for being against the pink ribbon is the sheer exploitation of my illness. Companies slap the pink ribbon on their product as a way to boost sales by playing on people’s emotions and fears. The percentage of the sale that actually goes to cancer organizations is tiny at best.

But, while there are many organizations that aren’t directly helping cancer patients, there are also several that are. My absolute favorite is The Pink Daisy Project. Founded by Debbie Cantwell who is a breast cancer survivor and fellow member of the YSC, The Pink Daisy Project has been able to help countless women all over the country with everyday necessities like housecleaning, groceries and prescription costs and was a recent recipient of a Pepsi Refresh grant. And when Debbie heard about a young woman who was about to be homeless just 2 days after receiving chemotherapy, she decided to help her even though she had no donation money left. With the help of the YSC sisterhood, Debbie’s Pink Daisy Project was not only able to keep this woman from being evicted, but also received enough donations to continue to help other women in need. They even sent me free hats when I started to lose my hair. If you really want to help a woman with breast cancer, leave the pink soup can on the shelf and consider donating directly to this great organization.

And speaking of the YSC, it wouldn’t hurt to donate to them as well. The Young Survival Coalition is an organization dedicated entirely to young women (under 40) with breast cancer. The YSC was the very first resource I found as a newly diagnosed patient and it has been an invaluable tool in guiding me through this journey. I have conversed with countless women through the YSC forum, all of whom I consider to be friends, though we’ve never met. We share something that only women with breast cancer can understand and I wouldn’t be the informed and well adjusted person that I am today without their support. There is also a great organization that I just learned about today called Movable Feast, who provides free meals to people living with AIDS and other life-challenging conditions, such as cancer. It may sound simple, but fulfilling a basic need by providing a meal can be the difference between a good day and a bad day for someone dealing with cancer.

These are just an example of some of the wonderful groups that are directly helping women with breast cancer in real time. When you donate to them, you know exactly where your money is going and you’re able to see real results. As a young breast cancer patient on the front lines of this disease, I’d much rather see people supporting these organizations rather than buying a pink water pitcher. Please think before you pink!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective, and I've heard the same thoughts about companies who contribute from other breast cancer patients. BUT...another perspective. A friend of mine's mother has ovarian cancer and she has said in the past that she wishes ovarian cancer had such a visible awareness and fundraising campaign like BC. No one knows what color the ribbon is for ovarian cancer (it's teal) and no one raises money for ovarian cancer research.

    I wonder too about "awareness." Everyone knows what the pink ribbon means and pratically everyone has been touched by the disease in one way or another. But many forms of BC are preventable, and how many women actively try to prevent themselves from getting cancer? I'm not just talking about self exams, I mean how many women know the risk factors for breast cancer, yet continue to smoke, eat poorly, don't exercise, drink too much, are obese, or don't breastfeed if possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Kayris! So few people leave comments...so I really appreciate it.
    In response, I totally understand the point your making. I know that I (and I think most breast cancer patients)wish that other cancers got as much recognition as ours. It is nice to know that everyone knows that our cancer exists and are donating money. However, it's where that money actually goes that is the problem. And- another interesting point that I've read about is the motivation for such interest in breast cancer and not others. Many believe that companies jump on the bandwagaon because "sex" sells. Not that there's anything sexy about breast cancer, but it seems that anything with the word breast makes for good marketing, and because of that, we feel exploited. You don't hear slogans like "feel your balls" for prostate cancer.
    And I totally agree that we all need to be more concious of what we put in and on our bodies. Preventing this disease is sure alot more appealing than having to fight it once it's started. Unfortunately, most people don't care enough about prevention until it's happening to them. And, I have to add that cancer is not "preventable" in the same way that something like AIDS is. You can avoid unprotected sex and dirty needles and be pretty much guaranteed that you will be safe. With cancer, you could do all of the things you mentioned, and still get it. I know several women who lived perfectly "clean" and healthy lives and still were diagnosed with breast cancer. And I think that promoting a "preventable" campaign will just add to the all too common mantra of "it won't happen to me", at least until it actually is 100% preventable.
    Again, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I definitely agree on the "sex sells" stuff. I don't know if you remember the "awareness" thing on Facebook awhile back, when women were encouraged to post the color of their bras to highlight breast cancer awareness. The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way because I didn't see how it was helpful. AND I thought it was potentially hurtful to many breast cancer patients and survivors who don't wear bras because they no longer have breasts.

    I guess I'm not entirely sure what "awareness" means. Awareness that BC exists? Like you said, everyone knows that. Awareness of risk factors and that most women who get BC don't have any? Everyone knows that too.

    Last month, Prevention ran an article called "14 Ways To Never Get Cancer" and it was about lifestyle choices that can dramatically affect your chances of getting cancer. I thought the title was a little bit irresponsible, because like you said, you can do everything right and still get cancer.

    I don't know, I guess I would prefer the "awareness" campaign to move away from self exams and money and more towards making prevention and treatment affordable for the average woman. I'd like to see more women and their families let companies know that we're not okay with them poisoning is with chemicals in our food and water or whatever else in the name of a profit.

    ReplyDelete