Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Happily Ever After

Today is my anniversary. My husband and I have been married for five years. I was twenty-four at the time; my husband was twenty-five. We were young in so many ways and fiercely grown-up in others. We had a plan, or at least I did. We would go active duty, travel the country, finish school, have children and settle into our dream home here in Baltimore. And as I reminisce it’s hard for me not to think about that plan and how drastically different our lives have become.
I never could have imagined on that crisp fall day all that life had in store for us. I didn’t see my love for animals turning into a career or that we would raise so much money for animals in our community. I didn’t see all the wonderful vacations we would take or the joy of purchasing our first home together. I didn’t see Romeo’s career goals shifting from the fire department and politics to teaching and entrepreneurship. And I certainly didn’t know that just two years later our relationship would be put to the test when I was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer.
Many young marriages would have crumbled under the pressure but ours has become even stronger. For some unknown reason we seem to have found what so many search for their entire lives: real, pure, honest-to-goodness love. It’s a phenomenon we are thankful for each and every day. We often joke that most couples probably don’t say “I love you” nearly as often as we do and that when our friends or co-workers are complaining about their significant other we can’t join in because there’s just nothing to gripe about. And while most people are trying to get away from their spouse, we look for more ways to spend time together.
I say all of this not to brag, but to express how truly lucky I am. I have a husband who loves me and stands by my side despite my being bald, sick, and moody and our lives being dominated by doctor’s appointments. He rides the emotional roller coaster with me and never complains. He goes above and beyond to ensure my happiness and I am incredibly blessed to have him as my husband.
Yes, our life together has been much different than expected. And today’s anniversary brings to mind another that is quickly approaching. In just a few days I will mark three years since being diagnosed. It’s almost impossible not to reflect on that as well and how different I’ve become as a person. Shortly after that date in October, I began to mourn the loss that so many women with breast cancer understand: the loss of my former, innocent self. So I made it my mission to become the “old me” again. And, like so many other women I’ve searched inside myself everyday for some trace of the woman I used to be.
Recently, I decided to discontinue the search. I used to feel that a certain power existed in telling myself and others that cancer hasn’t changed “who I am”, but I think there is greater power in admitting that it has. There is a sort of profoundly bizarre beauty in the cancer perspective, a beauty that can only exist in the darkest of places. After dealing with something so magnificently horrible it’s almost impossible to look at the world and your circumstances in the same way as before. And instead of seeing that as a bad thing, I’ve learned to relish the fact that I’ve reached a level of consciousness, happiness, love and humbling appreciation that most people only dream of. I am not the same woman that I was before cancer, nor will I ever be that woman again – and that’s perfectly okay.
The new me is extremely grateful for everything that I have and for the person I’ve become. And for the fact that I can celebrate five years of marriage with the man of my dreams with a refined bliss that the old me never could have imagined.
~Romeo, I love you with all of my heart and soul.

9/28/05

October 2005


newly moved in 2006


7/7/2007



Cancun 2008


Bahamas 2009



O's game 2010

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Romeo & Tracy!! I'm so happy for both of you... and you're right, you've found what so many people spend their whole lives searching for. I wish you many more years of happiness! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete